Friday, 15 June 2012

Fat calves and a wobbly bottom.

Source: Weheartit.com


There.  I said it.  I have fat calves and a wobbly bottom.  I haven't just realised this, you'll understand.  I've always thought it.  Growing up I HATED my figure. All my friends had, in my eyes, the perfect figure; skinny. You don't appreciate having curves when you're younger. Or a womanly figure. You just want to be like everyone else.


I down-right hated being a pear-shape.  My sister said I was all out of proportion.  And that's how I felt. When I was 19 a boy kindly remarked, "Wow, your calves are huge."  That did wonders for my self-esteem.


And so, like many girls, I had a jumper surgically attached around my waist for most of the 90s in an attempt to cover my ass.  And I turned to jeans because I hated my calves being on show in a skirt. I wore clothes that could cover up all my flaws.  Actually, I had a brief affair with skirts at around 16, but then I hadn't appreciated the benefits of nipping in my waist with a belt.


As I got older I became more interested in fashion.  Not following fashion, but exploring fashion, and finding what clothes actually suited ME. And fell in love with the 50s; nipped in waists and SKIRTS. And so I started to wear skirts again.  And loved it. 


My opinion of my body hasn't changed, but i've learnt to accept it.  It's definitely an age thing.  I'm turning 30 this year and whilst I still have various hang-ups with my body, I CARE less about them, or what people think about them.  Discovering men actually LIKED bottoms was a revelation.  Hearing boys say they actually preferred curvy women was a lightning bolt.  I wasn't a freak!


This is partly why I have so many clothes in my wardrobe that i've never worn.  Because they might expose a part of me that I hate, and assume everyone else will mock.  But in reality, no-one actually gives a toss.  


And so, what I guess i'm trying to say is don't let your own hang-ups hold you back. Ok, i'm talking about fashion in this context, fairly trivial stuff.  But to those people who mock you for having this, or that, screw 'em.  They've probably got terrible dress sense anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! As a kid, I was so skinny I was frequently asked if I was anorexic (as was my sister), but it was just a freakishly high metabolism. It made me (us) very uncomfortable. Now I have a flat bottom and teeny tiny ankles. I love that hitting the big 3-0 can put things in to such perspective, because, seriously, who give a crap. Men often fail to notice, and women that do are usually so crippled by a lack of self confidence they need to take it out on other women (and therefore don't count). You are amazing, just the way you are dear, wobbly bum and fat calves included (although for the record, I'm usually too busy going "oooh, LOVE that" to have noticed) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks Clazzerati :) Yahoo for our curves !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a lovely figure but you can never appreciate yourself properly. I have grown so much in confidence over the past few years and now I feel like I am finally getting to where I need to be and I am happy :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've spent my whole life absolutely hating my body, I'm an hourglass, but quite large too, and I for years I really hated it. I'm getting better now, but it's still not brilliant! In our society unfortunately, 99% of women dislike their bodies, we need to try and love what we have, but magazines etc make it difficult! x
    Sirens and Bells

    ReplyDelete
  5. All - thank you for your lovely comments. This one sparked a bit of a discussion in the office! Turns out everyone hates something about their bodies, but 9 times out of 10 the rest of us haven't even noticed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post! I hated my body for most of my teens and twenties. I'm a pear shape, just like you and when I looked myself into the mirror I felt like my body was made out of two, one very skinny and one chubby. I spent years wearing jeans and over sized t-shirts (let's be honest, those were men t-shirts) and large sweaters that covered my bum.
    When I was about 24 a guy I was dating at that time asked my what are all those bumps on my butt and thighs and I had to explain to him that this is called cellulite and then he kindly remarked that I should have a liposuction. Nice.
    Somehow over the years I started to feel better in my body and now despite my chunky knees and chubby thighs, I wear skirts and even shorts. I discovered wonders that dresses and high waist A line skirts do to my body but mostly I'm just more comfortable in my own body. I guess some kind of wisdom comes once you hit the 30's ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Big love,

Clazzerati xx