Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Everyone needs a bit of decoupage in their life

Apologies that this has taken me so long to do this post.  I won't bore you with the details of how busy i've been of late, but life really has gone mental the past few weeks!  The Bot chose the right time to go to the states for two weeks that's for sure!


So, decoupage.  Have I lost you already?


The word decoupage literally it means 'cut' in French.  But essentially it is the art of decorating objects, normally made of wood or cardboard, with pretty coloured paper.  You might have tried this as a kid and forgotten about it, but this stuff is tres cool.


I was re-united with my love of decoupage when I visited the Stitch and Craft show at Olympia a few weeks ago with the gals.


So what do you need?



  • 1 x anything that needs a bit of joozing (we had a clear out at our office recently and I couldn't help but bring a couple of tables back with me.  I'm a firm believer that everything can be re-used - the Bot was none impressed to see more stuff coming into our flat!)
  • Some decoupage paper - you can get this in craft stores, or have a little google to see what you can find online.  It shouldn't cost more than £1 per sheet, and I used just under one sheet for this project
  • Brush
  • Decoupage glue
  • Crafting knife for tidying the edges (not essential) 

And then the rest is pretty simple really.
  • Cut the paper into small manageable pieces -you could do the whole sheet in one go but I challenge you not to get a gazillion air bubbles!
  • Using the brush paste a bit of glue to your object, then add the paper, starting at one edge and gently rolling it onto the surface using the brush
  • Then paint over the paper with the glue
  • Continue this process untill the whole surface is cover and then wait for it to dry - give it a good 30 minutes.  The great thing about decoupage glue is that is acts as a protective varnish, so the surface is pretty waterproof, and smooth to touch.
  • When your object is dry you may notice that some of your egdes aren't quite as neat as they should be.  Fear not! Using a protective surface carefully remove these with a crafting knife
Et voila! 




Warning!  This could quickly become an addiction - you'll find yourself wondering around your house and coming to the conclusion that any hard surface could do with a bit of decoupage in its life.  Remember, less is more people!

p.s. dont forget to enter my competition to win £50 of Matalan vouchers! xx

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I love this, decoupage is on my list of a million craft things to do! table looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really beautiful!love it:) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Big love,

Clazzerati xx