Monday, 21 February 2011

Columbia road flower market


At this time of year when it seems every other blogger is attending some show or other at London Fashion Week, I headed for the Columbia Road flower market.  I can't recommend this little oasis in London enough! Located in east London about a 15 minute walk from Old Street tube you can be forgiven for thinking the road doesn't actually exist.  But then out of nowhere it appears and you begin to walk the gauntlet.  The flower gauntlet. Down the centre of the road is stall after stall of market sellers, all screaming for your attention.  And when they're shouting about offers such as "Five long stemmed roses for a fiver" you'll soon get a sore neck looking from left, to right, to left, desperate to look at all the beautiful flowers on display.  And they're so cheap!  You'll wonder why you ever settled for Sainsbury's own again.

But this isn't just a flower market.  The road is lined with adorable quirky independent shops and if you're anything like me, you'll need to venture into each one, just to be sure you're not missing out on anything.  And this results in having to walk up and down the road several times just to ensure you've seen EVERYTHING.  Luckily it's not a long road!  Just to note, the market opens at 8am and goes on till about 3.  We got there about 1.30pm and by 2pm they were literally giving away the flowers, cheap as chips!

Columbia road in the 60s/70s

This is Dennie of Saffron flowers stall.  If you're planning on heading down here to take a few pics, he is very happy to pose! I have to confess this isn't one of my pics, but taken from the flower market's website.  For once I decided to leave my camera at home as it was pretty miserable outside yesterday.

And this is what I bought...

A vintage embroidered cloth
A potted plant for the kitchen
And a delightful metal rose ring

The detailing on the cloth is gorgeous.  I think it's cross stitching - perhaps I can take this up as a new craft!?



I hope you all had wonderful weekends, mwa xx


The first three pictures were taken from the Columbia road flower market website

3 comments:

  1. ohmy, so pretty!
    i might have to visit there sometime :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Columbia Rd too, as well as the flowers and plants I love the little food shops that look like they should be someones front room!

    The doll on fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute blog!
    Follow me? I'll be very happy if you do it!
    Thank you so much!
    www.cipollainspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Big love,

Clazzerati xx