|The pattern - a 1950s box pleat dress|
If you're a regular reader of Clazzerati you'll know that my New Year's resolution is to make (at least) one item of clothing each month this year. I love making my own clothes but I have to confess, I can be a bit lazy and lacking in motivation so I often go months without making anything. That, or I start a project and then fail to finish it. This dress was a classic example. Technically I started this dress back in October, I know, that means it's taken me almost 4 months to complete, but better late than never, right?
|Sewing the seams|
|Securing the box pleats|
|Starting to take shape|
|The dress form is essential in tailoring the dress to fit my waist|
|Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (sound of the sewing machine)|
And here is the finished article...
I have to say, although i'm happy with the finished article this dress was a COMPLETE nightmare to make. I've not used Simplicity patterns before and i've got to say they weren't my favourite. I tend to use New Look patterns (not as in the shop, it's just a coincidence) as they tend to suit my shape better, but I really liked the look of this pattern so I gave it a try. I ended up having to re-do almost every aspect, but in the end it turned out ok!
So that's it, the first Clazzerati Couture Challenge is complete and for the first time ever i'm sticking to a New Year's resolution, woop!
My second project is a high-waisted elasticated navy blue skirt. Doesn't sound that impressive I know, but i'm hoping it will become a wardrobe staple. So be sure to keep checking back for my next instalment! And if you've got any good sewing tips to share, leave me a comment, tweet me or e-mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy Tuesday my lovelies xxx