Tuesday, 11 January 2011

The pattern - a 1950s box pleat dress

If you're a regular reader of Clazzerati you'll know that my New Year's resolution is to make (at least) one item of clothing each month this year.  I love making my own clothes but I have to confess, I can be a bit lazy and lacking in motivation so I often go months without making anything.  That, or I start a project and then fail to finish it.  This dress was a classic example.  Technically I started this dress back in October, I know, that means it's taken me almost 4 months to complete, but better late than never, right?


Raw materials
Box pleats
Sewing the seams
Securing the box pleats
Starting to take shape
The dress form is essential in tailoring the dress to fit my waist
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (sound of the sewing machine)
Getting there!
Et voila...
And here is the finished article...

I have to say, although i'm happy with the finished article this dress was a COMPLETE nightmare to make. I've not used Simplicity patterns before and i've got to say they weren't my favourite.  I tend to use New Look patterns (not as in the shop, it's just a coincidence) as they tend to suit my shape better, but I really liked the look of this pattern so I gave it a try.  I ended up having to re-do almost every aspect, but in the end it turned out ok!

So that's it, the first Clazzerati Couture Challenge is complete and for the first time ever i'm sticking to a New Year's resolution, woop!

My second project is a high-waisted elasticated navy blue skirt.  Doesn't sound that impressive I know, but i'm hoping it will become a wardrobe staple.  So be sure to keep checking back for my next instalment! And if you've got any good sewing tips to share, leave me a comment, tweet me or e-mail me on clazzerati@gmail.com.

Happy Tuesday my lovelies xxx 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed!! The dress looks stunning. I really need to learn to make clothes

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i think the dress is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- this is incredible, you're so talented!
    If i had the patience I'd love to try, but my projects always end up half finished!

    Danni
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job well done! Looks very lovely on you.

    Beneaththesunn. Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Big love,

Clazzerati xx