Sunday, 19 September 2010

The Look Show that rocked LFW

Ah London Fashion Week, the highlight of many a Londoner’s calendar. Well, this year I decided to venture down. Not only because I’d won two tickets to The LookShow, courtesy of New Look (big thanks ladies!) but because since starting this blog my fear of “fashion” and the perceived “bitchiness” that goes with it has
disappeared somewhat.

So after filling my belly with a rather scrumptious fry-up at the Nightingale in Balham (highly recommended I might add – a cross between a French café and a trendy Brooklyn joint - oh yes, Balham has got good people) myself and my friend Lucy heading on down to the Saatchi Gallery.

First, a spot of street-style spotting. The crowds had dressed up, but there was a distinct lack of imagination to many of the outfits. Now I know this was a ‘high-street’ show, possibly dis-regarded by many in the fashion world, but I really felt that a lot of the outfits were simply “off-the-peg” and “this is what I should be wearing to a fashion show”. Still, we weren’t completely disappointed. (*some of these photos were actually taken after the show, in case we're splitting hairs!).


The lovely Olivia from Office was rocking some hot crushed-velvet trousers and amazing frilled shoes.

How hot is this girls hair? One of the few ladies rocking an effortless ensamble amongst the tangerine high-street honeys.

Loving the oxfords, hat and shorts.

Good shoes and jumper, lady on the right.

All eyes on the shoes. Laces rule.

Taking summer's maxi trend into autumn. With style.

…and onto the actual show. Before it began we coiffed suitable amounts of champers courtesy of the lovely M&S and canapés were coming in our direction from all angles. I’d like to think the waiters thought Luce and I needed feeding up, but I think it was more to do with the fact we had taken the opportunity to relax on the floor for a bit. Anyway, from here we could do some much loved c-list celeb spotting. To say I felt like I had entered a reality TV show would be an under-statement. We had: Shane Ward (v.short, quite good-looking), Ali Bastian (very lovely), Lucy (Welshy from last year’s X factor, pretty non-descript). After the show we were treated to even more “stars” with Diana Vickers, who performed (amazing legs, less of the wangy hand – she has clearly been working on this) and…drum roll please (this next guest made my friend Lucy’s year)…Joe McEldry! Yes, the younger brother of the nation’s sweetheart Cheryl Cole was there in the flesh*. What a sweetheart he was. Too much foundation though boy (oh dear, I am getting old, sounding like his mum no doubt).


Sorry, I was getting to the show bit wasn’t I? Right, we took our seats and snapped up the goody bag. Thank you lovely sponsors, it was full of goodies. Useful bits too: umbrella, beanie, lipstick and more. I’ll take some pics and show you later in the week.

The show featured collections from: Dorothy Perkins, Monsoon, H&M, Mango, New Look, French Connection, Next, River Island, Oasis, M&S and Warehouse, and I was glad to see a full range of sizes. I think we had a whole selection from size six to probably a size 14. Good work Look magazine, glad to see you’re actually representing the British ladies in all our wonderful shapes and sizes!

So, what trends are emerging this season on the high street? Snuggly, warm, fuzzy trends that’s what. The fashion gods have finally answered my prayers and being comfortable is IN! Think cable-knits, faux-fur coats, in fact think fur-anything and you are so on track. Fur gilets, stoles, hats and bobbles reined supreme on the catwalk.


There was a distinct nod to the alpine Nordic forests with patterned jumpers. Just make sure you belt up that jumper and accentuate your waist with a thin belt. Fur extended to the feet too with tough lace-up boots lined with sheepskin making them look oh-so-comfortable to wear.

Of course the Aviator jacket was seen a lot. I think almost every high street chain will be rocking their version this season!

And the 70’s tailored look was spotted a few times. Perfect for office atire! I had expected a lot of 50s style full skirts to be on show but none were in sight. Mad Men clearly hasn't made much of an impression on the high street!

Make-up seemed to favour the 90’s Goth look: plumy lips and brown smoky eyes, and hair was predominantly swept off the face.

My only criticism – bare legs. I know it’s the catwalk but seriously guys, us Brit ladies LOVE tights! I challenge you to name someone you know who doesn’t live in tights during autumn/winter in the UK. Maybe it’s the American influence from shows like Sex and the City? I read in Vogue this month that Americans, particularly New Yorkers, refuse to wear tights no matter how low the temperature reaches outside. Well, us Brits ain’t New Yorkers. We like our legs to be warm. And if those luscious 100 denier tights happen to allow us to relax our wax/shaving (insert as appropriate) regime in the winter months, well so be it.

After the show we saw performances from Diana Vickers (have I said that already? Think so, I have a tendency to repeat myself) and Gabriella Cilmi – they were both pretty good. Felt a little old, but hey, can’t complain too much! We also both got a lovely hand massage from a lovely man from Jergens naturals and got a complimentary mini make-over from the Benefit girls, thank you!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I totally rocked as a faux-paparazzi. We were outside having a sneaky tab when all of a sudden the paps went wild. But who could it be? Keisha from the Sugarbabes. I muscled in, shouted her name and got a perfect shot. I looked totally out of place but I thanked her and she smiled sweetly and laughed– she knew what I was up to!



I’ve waffled on and I’ve made myself tired – this morning was a rather early start as I dropped the Bot off at the airport. He is off to Indianapolis for work and left me all alone. Ha ha, I jest, it gives me time to catch up on…well…myself really! I’ll post some more LFW pics tomorrow that I took at Somerset House – a great place to hang out during LFW (thanks Jill for the advice).

Oh yeah, I was totally on-trend in my bargainous faux fur jacket that I picked up in New Look's sale last year - £10 I tell thee!

Oh, and I went for the lace-ups in the end. Thanks for the advice ladies! x

My lovelies, I wish you good night, and god bless. xx

p.s. apologies for any typos but I am exhausted.

p.p.s another apology for the random font size and formatting but Blogger is not behaving this evening but I want to get the post out, so please bear with it!

*just pointing out that Joe McEldry is not the younger brother on Cheryl Cole, but you can't deny there is some weird similarities going on there!




3 comments:

  1. First off you looked gorgeous lady!
    Also love the girls hair, perfect cut and incredible colour.
    I'm so intrigued by you mentioning the tangerine girls, i really thought they'd be non-exsistent at LFW, whether it was high street event or not. Lay off the false girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your street style photos - right near King’s Road too! When you next do a piece, it'd be great to feature some our on local blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty!amazing posts!and i envy your lashes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Big love,

Clazzerati xx